Thursday, July 16, 2009

"There is nothing more poetic and terrible than the skyscrapers' battle with the heavens that cover them." -Federico Garcia Lorca

Post by: Beth

It's unsurprising that one of the best things about Hong Kong is the skyline. An uninterrupted view of the skyline yields views of mountains, sea, peninsulas, islands, and countless skyscrapers.... all at the same time. It's this crazy clash of city and nature that's beautiful both at night and day.

To showcase the architectural development of the city, the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau puts on a show on a nightly basis, billed as the largest permanent light and sound show worldwide. "A Symphony of Lights" is a synchronized building exterior decorative light and laser multimedia display, featuring 44 buildings on both sides of the Victoria Harbour of Hong Kong accompanied by symphonic music.

To view the show, there are several spots available that offer unobstructed views of the city, or you can take a ferry ride through Victoria Harbour while the light and sound show is being conducted. During Mom's visit, we chose to do just that, and it was well worth it. It's easily one of the experiences I've enjoyed most during our stay here.

Despite the fact that the boat was REALLY rocky, and constantly sailing back and forth in the harbour, Mom actually got some clear photos! A few of them are a bit crooked, but I'm not kidding when I say that the boat was rocking so much it was impossible to walk in a straight line at all. Thanks to Mom, here are some of the sights from our first "Symphony of Lights" show.







2 comments:

JANA said...

That is so neat! I have to tell you how much my mother and I both enjoy your blog. We get to see a little bit of the world through your blog and we highly enjoy it! You are a a very good writer!

love,
jana

P.S. I forgot to leave you a comment on your bath tub post. I was going to tell you that that brought back so many memories of you for me. You have been like that about reading and bath tubs since we were in middle school (Back in the day of Babysitters Club!). It is nice to know some things never change! :)

Beth said...

Aww.. Thanks, Jana! I'm so glad you and your mom read and enjoy the blog-- It makes my day when I get to read comments people leave from time to time. :)
And I don't think I'll ever outgrow reading in the bathtub.. I can't help but love it! Funny you remember that.. I still remember our BF loyalty papers. ;)