Thursday, March 13, 2008

The good life...

Post by: Raja

So, I just re-read what I posted last night and noticed that it wasn't written very well. I have to apolgize for that. I was REALLY tired last night when I made that post, but I had promised Beth that I would post at least once a week, and it already been 8 days since my last post, so I made the best post I could at the time.

Anyways, despite the late night post, I have to admit, I am living the good life. I am not sure if Beth has mentioned this or not, but she has been doing a fantastic job cooking so far. Anyone that knows Beth knows that her biggest concern about marriage was probably that she didn't know how to cook. Well, I'm here to tell you, that she is a fabulous cook. Not only can she cook, she has taken complete responsibility for planning out the week's meals, getting the necessary ingredients, and making sure that dinner is healthy AND that it tastes good.I help as much as I can - I go grocery shopping with her, help with some of the peripherial things that still need to be done when I get home, and load the dishwasher - but we both know who is doing the work. She even makes my lunch for me every day. What else could I ask for?!?

Tonight I was going to do the cooking and we were going to grill some shrimp and burgers outside, but we didn't think we'd be able to get the ingredients and get the prep work done in time (before dark - the grill is outside and it tends to get chilly at night still). I'll have to make it up to her the next time the weather permits, which hopefully won't be too long now that it is already almost mid-March.

I guess the moral of the story is that if Beth ever tells you that she doesn't think she can do something (like cook, find a great job for only 6 months, etc), don't believe her. She really is probably one of the only people I know who can pretty much do anything she puts her mind to (her and my parents are some of the few people I have seen do things that I thought were incredible) and I know there are still many more amazing things that I'll be witness to over the coming years.

Now for a funny story. Yes she makes dinner. Yes she makes lunch. But she also makes me cookies for dessert. Fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. So a week or two ago, after dinner, I mentioned that I'd like some cookies and milk before heading to bed (one of my favorite desserts). Before I knew what was happening, the oven was hot, the cookie dough was rising, and theh scent of fresh baked confections was filling the loft. After they were done, we both had a couple, and went to bed. The next night after dinner, I thought I'd have another cookie or two for dessert. That's reasonable, right? Well, I was in for a surprise.

I jumped off the couch during a commercial break of whatever we were watching and announced that I was going to get some cookies and asked Beth if she wanted any. She just looked at me with a frown and shook her head. "What? You don't want any?"
"There aren't any," came the response.
"You ate ALL the cookies (there were about 8 left)?"
"I couldn't help it... they were so good."

I just laughed and said it was ok. No big deal. After all, it was kind of funny. So a few days ago we make cookies again. I didn't eat any after dinner though - I was just too full. The next day, I go to get some cookies after dinner, and I notice there are only 4 left (out of 12.. notice a pattern?).
"Hey.. where'd all the cookies go?"
I see another frown "I might have gobbled up a couple after I finished baking"
"A couple? You ate 8 cookies... all at once? Right after you made them?"
I see a frown and a nod. Wow. That's a lot of cookies.
"I just can't help it...I don't think we can have cookies in the house. I'll eat them all"

Well, as you can imagine, that could cause some problems. We have to have cookies. So our solution is now to buy the cookie dough and only make 2-3 cookies a night. I know it sounds inefficient, but it's really not that bad. Beth isn't forced to eat 75% of a dozen cookies and I get fresh baked goods at night. If marriage is about compromise, this is definitely one that I can live with.

Like I said.. this is the good life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Raja,
Well I can tell you why Beth will eat all the cookies like that. At our house if you want any you better get them when you see them because when Gary and Greg are here food doesn't last an hour,especially cookies or sweets. If you aren't in the mood for them when they come out of the oven you just might miss out because once word is out that there is food/sweets in the house they are gone. So maybe with lots of understanding and talking to her she might can get over this and have left over cookies. =)
Love ya'll, Mom

Hershbine Family said...

Hey... Alex and I can totally relate and completely understand. We have come up with the solution, if it is home baked... leave out a portion for the guys... freeze the rest (the boys dont want to take the time to defrost!) if it is store bought... keep finding new hiding places... and never leak out the information that the "good stuff" is in the house! :0) But we completely empathasize with Beth's situation...it's hard when you have two "healthy" sized men in the house who think that they are starving all the time! ;0)

Beth said...

My defense:
They were little bitty =(