Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pretty day in the city...

Post by: Beth

Today was a gorgeous, sunny day in New York -- The weather is great up here right now. The mornings are breezy and a crisp cool, and the day warms up but doesn't get too hot, even during the middle of the day. The night settles back into just the right temperature for walking around and being comfortable outside.

It was a much more successful day for me -- I had a lot of things I'd planned to do today, and I didn't get lost at all! The first couple of days here I got turned around quite a bit, and I always sort of had a nervous feeling that I would get lost and end up in a bad area. I didn't have that feeling today -- a sure sign I'm already getting more comfortable with navigating the city streets. By foot, anyway... Raja and I did practice the subway last night, and tonight I led the way as we rode to Chelsea to pick up some things after he got off work. I found the way to the right subway train, got off at the right stop, had a little trouble finding the proper exit, but overall did pretty well! Tomorrow may be my first day to ride the subway by myself -- It doesn't sound like a daunting task, but there are LOTS of trains coming in and out of the stations around our apartment, and they get very crowded and have lots of tunnels that branch off. I'm sure I'll get used to it with practice, but it's still a big step for now.

Here are some photos I took while walking around today -- I went to Macy's in the morning, then Express, Staples, the library, Gap, Office Depot, and finally back home. Perfect weather for walking around, so all in all, a great day!




This is the view as you exit the library.




The Chrysler building is my favorite building in New York, so you'll probably see lots of pictures of it. I have to walk by it everytime I go to the library.



This building actually curves inward from the front and back as it goes up... It's really strange to see a building that gets smaller as it gets higher.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you run into Superman yet? What about Spiderman..... Batman? If you do, please get an autograph for me! Tell Jerry Seinfeld I said, "Hello." Kind of miss him, along with Cosmo Kramer. Take care, and take a deep breath of smog, and relax.
Randy

Lee said...

Yep no bridges. I can look at bridges though.

You are doing a great job with your photography. I have always heard NYC is a pretty city and your pictures are doing it justice.

Hershbine Family said...

you got some really cool shots... sounds like a lot of fun just wandering around the steets and seeing the sites!

big cuz

Beth said...

done, done, and done, Randy ;)
make me a harder list.

big cuz -- where are YOUR new blog posts, missy?

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. I would like to see some photos of "ground zero." Especially the memorial. Only if you get a chance. Beth, if you get scared on the subway just scream, "I just broke out of the psych ward, and need to go back immediately." I am sure plenty of people would come to your rescue. Maybe with handcuffs, but it would solve the problem. I will send pictures after our vacation.

Hershbine Family said...

i am room mother and busy back at work. alex and daddy day was supposed to have pictures to go along with it this month... but guess who did not follow through with that... not me! when i come home to a new one of yours everyday, it makes me realize what a poor job i am doing. we are going to the lake to unveil the new toy... so maybe when I return I will have something to post about.