Saturday, April 12, 2008

Whirlwind Week...

Post by: Beth
Okay, so we haven't exactly been great at posting lately... Life here in St. Louis has picked up quite a bit and we've been much busier than normal! If you've sent me an email lately and I haven't yet responded, I apologize.. It's been pretty hectic, but that's no excuse and I will get back on track ASAP. :)

We got to go home last weekend for the quickest trip EVER... Sima (a family friend of the Gupta's) got married recently in India and they held a wedding reception in Birmingham to celebrate. So we left St. Louis about 3pm Friday and drove down.. We arrived about 11pm and Saturday I got to go shopping with my mom! We searched high and low and only came away with a few perfect items, but that's on par with my shopping trips lately. Mom bought me some wonderful goodies so I didn't have to use money out of my "BSpend" column, so I waved them around with glee when I got back to Raja at his parent's house. Saturday night was the wedding reception, which was alot of fun. We got to see a lot of people that came to OUR reception in February so it was wonderful to see everyone.

That weekend was also the Final Four tournament for the NCAA bracket. As most of you know, Raja had high hopes for UNC this year and it was all he talked about. The game against Kansas was at 8pm or something like that that night, as was the wedding reception, so Raja had to TiVo the game. Apparently it's all he thought about, because I was trying (and failing) to dance to the lively Indian music and he was ready to go so he can watch the dumb game. So we got home about midnight... I was exhausted and he was a bundle of nerves. Oh, and I forgot to mention that his brother, Rishi, had decided the 58" plasma screen hanging on the wall wasn't a large enough source on which to watch the game. So he'd brought home an actual PROJECTOR from Emory. Yes... Rishi, Vik, & Raja moved the couch, took off the wall hanging, and set up a projector that cast the game on one ENTIRE wall of their poor parents' living room. So it's essentially a movie theatre they've created on which to watch this exciting game.
As anyone who watched the game knows, it was brutal. From the very beginning, it was terrible. I was laying on the couch with Raja dozing off, but kept getting awakened by his yelling at the TV (.... I mean - movie screen) very loudly and in not nice language. Finally I opened my eyes to see that UNC was about 18 points behind Kansas and I rolled off the couch to go to bed because this was not going to be good. The environment was better in the bedroom, but every once in a while I was jolted awake by the sound of Raja screaming.
It was a somber scene in the Gupta's living room the next morning. Rishi & Raja barely spoke at all, except to mumble about how horrible this is. They sadly moved the furniture back into place and disassembled the movie theatre they'd created the night before. I was still pretty excited about my goodies Mom bought me (FREEEEE!!), but could not show it as they were downcast and saddened. I tried to be super supportive and stayed quite as a mouse, and eventually as the afternoon goes on, Raja got a bit more lively.
I will say I was also disappointed by the games that day, but mostly because the games knocked me out of any chance of winning the bracket pool for Raja's work. Raja had basically forced me to fill out a bracket the morning the brackets were due. I was literally drying my hair for work while telling Raja who to put in my bracket, and we got it submitted just in time. By the Final Four games, I was in 2nd place, and there was a pretty good chance I could walk away with the prize. If you know me at all, you know I was so excited and envisioning my "BSpend" column soaring to great heights. It was quite a disappointment Saturday when I went from "pretty sure I can win this thing" to "can't win nuffin at all." But oh well... I'm pretty sure I wasn't nearly as sad as poor Raja.

We'd planned to eat lunch with Mom on the way out of town Sunday afternoon, and I realized that morning we'd definitely have time to have a nice, leisurely lunch. So we had just enough time to ask Casey & Alex (my cousins -- Alex is Casey's 6 year old daughter, for those who don't know) to join us to eat, and it turns my aunt Vicki can come, too!! And then Corey called and learned that his mom and sister and niece are at lunch with us, and he got to stop by, too! Erin (Corey's wife) was working on a shoot, so she did not get to come :( but we had a great time eating lunch. Raja and Alex and I played tic-tac-toe and Alex learned that Raja is a sore winner AND a sore loser. (I've always known this.. It's just amazing that a 6 year old can pick up on it.) ;) But she did learn from him that tic-tac-toe doesn't have to be just "X's and O's".. It can be any letter you want it to be! Now, with Raja insisting on using only W's, I's, N's, and S's and Alex demanding her full initials (ABH) be placed in her chosen squares, she definitely walked away with a new take on tic-tac-toe. We had such a great time and are so glad everyone got to eat with us. Next time, hopefully we'll have more time and can plan ahead a bit more and we can see Granny & Co, too! So we got back Sunday night about midnight to St. Louis. This past week has been work, work, work for the most part. (Thank Goodness Mrs. Gupta sent lasagna back with us -- we were so tired from the trip and it was great not having to cook or go out!)

We did get to go out last night and we went to a place I'd been wanting to go since we moved here. It's called Bailey's Chocolate Bar and they have the most wonderful things EVER -- They have white chocolate martinis, blondie brownies, cheese plates, fruits dipped in chocolate, chocolate sticks, drinks made with ice cream and caramel... anything you can imagine, they have. And it's gorgeous inside too, which makes it perfect. Raja got a boring beer, but I dove right in and got the yummiest martini and a cheese plate with 3 kinds of gourmet cheeses and wonderful bread to go with it. It's definitely one of the best places I've been. I'd told Mom about it last weekend while she was up here, so she knew I was super excited to get to go. I can't wait to go back sometime. As Raja put it, I was "as happy as a pig in mud." (And by the way, if you were wondering.. it IS impossible to not bust out laughing when an Indian man throws out cliches as southern as THAT.)

Today, we are going to take Raja's car in to the shop for an alignment and something else.. I forgot what he said.. and then we are going to the mall to shop a little bit. The weather up here today is supposed to be cold, windy, and maybe even SNOWY... ? The weather is insane here -- It was 65 for most of this past week, and now we're expecting snow showers? But anyway, that's the plan for today.
Since we've been really bad about posting lately, we're going to make it a point to carry our camera around with us all the time and make sure we don't miss anymore opportunities to show parts of St. Louis and what we do here. This weekend is a lot less busy than the last one, so it's already been nice to be able to relax a little bit. We hope you are all having a great weekend, also, and miss everyone! :)


Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you got my picture to go way down the screen. It was quiet frightning each time I checked your blog and there I popped up each and every time. Now I don't have to be afraid the boogie woman is going to be there.
Love and miss you guys,

Mike, Lee, Evan, and Aiden said...

Your posts make me hungry. I am trying to rid myself of the baby weight and you are making me want to search for chocolate. Thanks! Next time could you put a warning before you talk about food so I can skip that part.

Glad you are enjoying St Louis.

Hershbine Family said...

So, funny that all of that was going on at the other side of the table. I would hear bits and pieces but was never exactly sure what you were doing over there...except hanging bracelets from your ears and on top of your head!
And BTW... Alex is only 5...Please dont make her grow up any faster!! ;0)

Beth & Raja Gupta said...

poor alex.. i'm wishing her life away for her! i thought she was going to be 6 by the time i was married, but i guess she was turning only FIVE by the wedding date. i will try to keep her age straight from now on. ;)
and yes.. if your child never plays well with others during tic-tac-toe from now on, you have raja to blame for that.